From: Scott Schindler [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2000 11:53 AM
To: James Edwards; 'Pellowski, Tom'; 'Frank Darden'; 'Jon Vandiveer';
[email protected]
Subject: Re: [FW1] intrusion detection - benifits?

And when you get attacked and Snort doesn't handle what happened(even if
none of the other ones would have either), or doesn't auto update your
firewall, and someone steals your new OS or bank account numbers, you can
explain to the board members why you use a free product and explain about
lack of standards or lack of support and lack of updates and etc. etc. etc.

Snort works.  Politics suck.  Reality can come crashing down.  No one ever
gets fired for choosing the industry leader.  Welcome to Microsoft, Check
Point, Real Secure, etc.

This isn't everyone.  Just the ones that make the billions of dollars and
are traded on Nasdaq.  The rest can continue to use Snort, which is probably
the most flexible product, once you've mastered UNIX and the learning curve.