RE: [FW1] intrusion detection - benifits?

I felt the same way for a while until I attended one of the SANS intrusion
detection conferences.  Probably the one most important concepts they
impressed on me is that there is no one solution.  Your firewall can't do it
all, that is not an opinion, that is a fact.  I have heard different figures
on this but 50 - 80% of malicious computer activity comes from inside your
network, behind your firewall.  An intrusion detection system correctly
placed will tell you about this kind of activity.

Another benefit of the one I am using (Shadow) is logging of packet data for
specific traffic.  Firewall logs only tell you so much and there are
definitely times when you want to see the inside of a packet, not just the
source and destination.  This has been an invaluable tool for me when I am
trying to track down some weird traffic and figure out what it is doing.

Lastly, most people have to fight to get this kind of stuff funded.  You are
getting it without a fight.  You might want to grudgingly accept this and
try to wrangle something else out of the deal as well.  You know, "Well,
I'll take your intrusion detection system but to do it right, we have to
have this cool reporting tool to go with it."

Hope this helps.

Jim Edwards
Systems Manager
Texas Secretary of State