From: Paul Niebuhr [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2000 3:20 PM
To: Firewall-1 Mailing List
Subject: [FW1] DES to 3DES

Our upgrade path (NT) has been 4.0 SP7 -> 4.1 SP1 -> 4.1 SP2 all using DES
software.  We would now like to upgrade to 4.1 SP2 3DES.  We have been told
by one Check Point engineer that we need uninstall the Firewall-1 product
and then reinstall the 3DES version.  Another Check Point engineer told us
that we only need to uninstall SP2 and reinstall it using a 3DES version and
I saw in the mailing list archives that I could just "upgrade" to 3DES.

Also, we have a 3DES encryption license and our Firewall-1 gateway license
doesn't reference either DES or 3DES.  According to Check Point we don't
need to change our license but our reseller/vendor thinks we will need a new
Firewall-1 license to use 3DES.

Does anyone have any experience with this procedure and what path we need to
follow to change to 3DES?

Thanks,

Paul Niebuhr, Computer Scientist
LSS Data Systems
6423 City West Parkway, Eden Prairie, MN  55344