RE: [FW1] SecureRemote

Probably better late than never ... much catching up to do

I also do this with my users with SecureClient, there are several
advantages, disadvantages and caveats that I see.

Advantages
==========
1. More secure - Can prevent Internet connected users from bypassing the
core network anti-virus and content rules

2. Same rules in the office as out on the road

3. No ability for the bad guys to use my remote workstations for attacking
my network.

4. Same proxy logs of who's going where

Disadvantages
==============
Sucks more bandwidth - data from the user, through the firewall, content
scanners and back out again.

Higher load on the Firewalls

Can't handle things like outbound unencrypted traffic that is not proxyably
- eg Telnet, SSL, etc - this will bite me in the future (but not a problem
for today :-> )

Caveats

SecureClient's gradients on security are lousy  eg outbound, all ports open,
and  encrypted only are the only two useful ones if you want any form of
security/usability
 - It looks like the same engine if you compare process names and event log
entries etc so ... why cant it download the SAME security policy to the
remote nodes -- after all a policy is a policy and the weakest link is the
one that breaks .

You have to use NAT pools if you have multiple gateways or traffic goes in
one firewall and out the other which makes things break.

ICMP doesn't work properly if you allow outbound ICMP only -- that is the
firewall drops the outbound after it's un-natted the reply packet - This is
a known CP issue and I'm waiting for a fix in SP3 (I hope ...)

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Tim