From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, November 23, 2000 10:46
To: Tim Cullen
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: RE: [FW1] CheckPoint RealSecure Intrusion detection Ver 5.0

I asked a question about this recently - it appears that the confusion is
in that the Management Console for both fw and RS can reasonably reside on
same box (firewall) but the RealSecure engine needs to be on different box
? i.e.:-

Box 1 (NT/Nokia/Solaris(whatever):-

Software = 1. Firewall-1(or VPN-1), 2. FW-1 Man. Console, 3. RealSecure
Man. Console

Box 2 (whatever):-

Software = RealSecure Engine

Does this look right Tim or would you not even run the Management Consoles
on the same box - any other views ?

Tim Higgins

                    Tim Cullen <[email protected]>

                    Sent by:                                    To:
[email protected]
                    [email protected]        cc:

                    kpoint.com                                  Subject:
RE: [FW1] CheckPoint RealSecure Intrusion detection Ver 5.0

                    21/11/00 18:19

I'm sorry I am going to have to say this,
Never, I will repeat, Never put anything on the firewall!  The firewall
should be a stand alone box with the only purpose in life of inspecting the
incoming packets.