From: CryptoTech [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2000 6:21 AM
To: Roy Hills
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [FW1] SecuRemote requires accept fw-1 control connectionson
v4.1but not v4.0

Roy,

I can assure you that there is no inspect code that goes active only when
accept

control connections is set.

What you may want to do is enable the control conns, go to view - implied
rules and

note that securemote connections require

port 264 topology download

port 265 fw1_key public key comm port

udp 500  IKE if used

RDP service for FWZ connections

These really are all the ports used by securemote.

Cheers,

CryptoTech

Roy Hills wrote:

> CryptoTech,

> Thanks for your reply.

> You are correct in saying that accept control connections in the
properties

> allows SecuRemote to work - this is what I've already discovered.  The
issue

> is that I don't want to allow control connections because it allows more
than

-

> this is correctly defined as the Firewalls' external IP address.  Also
note

> that SecuRemote does work OK when accept control connections is

> checked, so I can't see how it can be a Firewall object issue.

> Now, my suspicion is that there's some bit of inspect code which is only

> being activated when "allow Firewall-1 control connections" is checked and

> just allowing the protocols concerned isn't enough.  Perhaps I need to
allow

> some other protocol (maybe IKE) that I don't really need (because I use
FWZ)

> just to activate this inspect code.

> Roy Hills

> At 08:40 22/11/00 -0500, CryptoTech wrote:

> >Roy,

> >4.1 uses port 264 for topology download and 265 for public key transfers.
You

> >should need no explicit protocol accepts, as the 'accept firewall-1
control

> >connections' allows for this.  Usually when you get a timeout after

> >authentication,

> >it is because the firewall object has been defined based on the internal

> >ip address.

> >So again, I wouldn't look at the rules, I would look at the fw
workstation

&

> > > Firewall-1

> > > control connections" in the policy properties.  I cannot seem to get

> > SecuRemote

> > > to work by using specific rules in the rulebase.

> > > I have tried the following two rules without success:

> > > a)

> > > Src: Any

> > > Dst: Firewall

> > > Svc: FW1, FW1_key, FW1_topo, RDP

> > > Act: Accept

> > > Trk: Long

> > > b)

> > > Src: SecuRemote-Client

> > > Dst: Firewall

> > > Svc: Any

> > > Act: Accept

> > > Trk: Long

> > > Src: Firewall

> > > Dst: SecuRemote-Client

> > > Svc: Any

> > > Act: Accept

> > > Trk: Long

> > > In both cases, I also had the appropriate client encrypt rules
present.

> > > The symptoms I see are that I can add the Firewall "site" OK, and the

> > > authentication dialog box appears.  However authentication fails with

> > > "communication failed" message.

> > > Allowing "accept VPN-1 & Firewall-1 control connections" in the policy

> > > properties makes SecuRemote work fine.

> > > Does anyone know what has changed from V4.0 to V4.1 regarding
SecuRemote

> > > that causes this?

> > > Is it possible to allow SecuRemote with just rules in the rulebase and
not

> > > with "accept VPN-1 & Firewall-1 control connections" in the policy

> > properties?

> > > I'm using Firewall-1 v4.1[DES] SP1 on Windows NT 4.0 SP5.  SecuRemote
is

> > > v4.1 [DES] on Win-95.  I am using DES encryption, MD5 integrity and
FWZ key

> > > exchange.

> > > Roy Hills

> > > --

> > > Roy Hills                                    Tel:   +44 1634 721855

> > > NTA Monitor Ltd                              FAX:   +44 1634 721844

> > > 14 Ashford House, Beaufort Court,

> > > Medway City Estate,                          Email:

> > [email protected]

> > > Rochester, Kent ME2 4FA,

> > UK                  WWW:   http://www.nta-monitor.com/

instructions at