Re: [FW1] Create master rulebase from local

Do this.

Start the GUI on your system. In the management server
field type *local and give any old username and password
you would like. Press enter.

Voila(extent of my French) your in a local copy of a firewall
policy. This allows you to play, play, play...err test, test, test.

You can copy your real policy and objects to your local
system and play with them. I don't have those off hand, see
phoneboy. Make a copy of the local just in case.

Is this what you wanted to know?

Robert

- -
Robert P. MacDonald, Network Engineer
Team Lead, e-Business Infrastructure
G o r d o n   F o o d    S e r v i c e
Voice:email: [email protected]

>>> Christine Tran <[email protected]> 11/16/00 11:07:39 AM >>>

Hypothetical question:

On my firewall I have the most recent policy installed & being enforced.
I have local copies of $FWDIR/database/rules.C and $FWDIR/database/objects.C
I have a good $FWDIR/state directory, with local.fc (currently running filter
code).  Is there any way to recreate a .W file from these items?  Or from
any items found locally on my FW?

What's the difference between the master's objects.C file & the local copy?
What's the rules.C file for?  I think this was asked in the archive but
not really answered.

CT