From: "Robert MacDonald" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>; <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2000 5:21 AM
Subject: Re: [FW1] FW-1 with NAT

David,

A nice side benefit of FW1 is that newcomers can
learn how some of these rules are build, by allowing
the system to control them. If you view the implied rules
or look at the Address Translation rules, you may see
these. As you check/uncheck the policy properties,
these 'auto-rules' will appear or disappear. The same
goes for NATting. If you add NAT to an object, the system
will create the rules for you.

But since these are auto generated by the system, you
cannot edit them directly. I prefer to build my own, because
I have more granular control over the rule.

In your case, let's say your firewall has two interfaces:

Internal is 10.1.1.1/24
External is 216.232.38.65

After you have created an fw ws object, create a network
object called local_net. The IP address is the IP net of your
internal network. In this example it would be 10.1.1.0. The
netmask would be 255.255.255.0.

Now click on the NAT tab and check the box labeled
"Add Automatic Address Translation Rules". Make the
"Translation Method" hide and add the IP address of
216.232.38.65 to the "Hide IP Address" field.

Now go to the Address Translation tab and see two new
rules built just for you.

Now try and duplicate these rules manually and you should
see more of the gruesome details ;)

Best of Luck!
Robert

>>> "David Luong" <[email protected]> 11/15/00 1:01:41 AM >>>
>Hi Robert,
>
>Thanks for the insight. I'm pretty new to checkpoint so if you don't mind
my
>ignorance, how do you make a NAT original rule?
>
>David.

NT