Re: [FW1] Firewall-1 cp2000 on soalris 8

Good Morning;

I have some entry level questions and comments to add to this thread.....

Firebird wrote:
>   So first, why did you install the graphical environment ? This has to be a
Firewalling station, or not ?
>  Firewalls don't need graphical environment.

But Xlibraries are still needed correct? (in order to display FW GUI) So if he
already has CDE installed
and doesnt mind the performance hit with it running there should not be a problem,
security wise, correct?

> When you install a station you intend to become a firewalling station, you
> just have to take as less packages as possible, to reduce the possibilities
> of errors. There's a "beta" doc out there... On Lance's page, which
> describes the installation procedure for a standard SUN with Solaris 8. I
> changed it for SPARCserver 20 and SPARCstation 5 station since I got those
> old machines here.
>     Try to remove all the packages which are not necessary... Then you'll
> see more clearer what's going on there.

As a new comer can you point us to Lance and his page? Howzabout a link to this Doc?

I had asked last week for information about the minimal packages needed and I'm
thinking this
document would be very useful for my situation.

Meanwhile about the start up problem, look into the possibility of placing a SU in
the rc file so that
whatever environmental variables that you need are associated with the session as
opposed to naked boot time root.

Volume Manager will have already started and mounted your mirrored volumes at that
point in the startup scripts.

Frank D'Urso