RE: [FW1] FW-1 and Interscan Viruswall

Old versions of Viruswall doesn't query a Nameserver to send a mail. I don't
know if a recent version of Viruswall queries a nameserver.

The problem is, that a client behind the firewall is sending a mail, f.e. to
@checkpoint.com. The client (maybe a sendmail system) tries to send this
mail to the server with the lowest cost (in this example, to
mx1.us.checkpoint.com). The Viruswall machine catch this mail, scan it and
send the mail. But if the mailserver is down, Viruswall doesn't try to send
the mail to another server (in this example to mx2.us.checkpoint.com).

Last year there was no solution for such situations. For a workaround, you
install a smtp relay before the firewall, and the mailserver behind the
firewall is sending all mails to this relay. The policy should "redirect"
all these mails to the CVP Server and the CVP Server is sending all mails to
the outgoing relay. This mailer is trying all MX Servers for each domain if
its a normal smtp server.

Regards,

Micha Borrmann
CCSE + MCSE