From: Dameon D. Welch-Abernathy [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Sunday, November 12, 2000 11:36 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [fw1-wizards] Unusual Log Message

> "router log: Virtual Defragmentation error: Timeout (..xxx.xxx ->
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx proto 50 id 40401 len 0 offset 0) - 6 fragments dropped
> during the last 60 seconds"

This is actually in the 4.1 SP2 release notes. FireWall-1 received from
fragmented packets, which it was not able to re-assemble correctly.
Protocol 50 tells me it was an IPSEC packet.

By default, FireWall-1 doesn't fragment IPSEC packets, though it would
probably work better if it did. It sends them with the don't fragment
bit set, which can make things worse if the packets were near MTU size
before FireWall-1 added the IPSEC headers. Check Point has a couple of
Knowledge Base docs that explain how to solve this on Solaris or NT.

-- PhoneBoy