RE: [FW1] Partition for Solaris

Sorry but it is just not that easy.

If you have the partition at the end of the list and you have left disk
space, then it is simple but if you have other partitions to deal with,
those have to be blasted and restored also.  I have only been so fortunate
once in 12 years of doing this stuff.

Not only that but think about why would you have to increase it?  Usually
because you screwed up the allocation of disk space in the first place (VERY
easy to do) and have to steal some back from /usr or some other partition.
If all of them are in the same partition, all the disk space gets used as it
is needed and you don't have to worry about trying to guess how much you
will need.  With the big disks we have now, just double the amount the
operating system claims to need and you're ready to go.

As for restoring file systems, putting them in their own partitions doesn't
change that.  In all my years of doing this, I have never lost a single
partition by itself (except for the scenario of changing sizes) but have
lost lots of disk drives.  If I have to restore the whole disk, having
everything in one partition actually makes that easier and the amount of
data is the same.

Like I said, I used to be one of those who insisted everything be separate
but trying it once changed my mind quick.

Jim Edwards