Re: [FW1] SUN Ultra 10

Greetings!

"Bartfai, Attila" wrote:

> One of our customer using Sun Ultra 10 with 1 quad  (4*10/100) card.
> They want to enhance their box with another quad card, but the SUN not
> recommend this. They recommend to upgrade the SUN U 10 to Ultra E 250...

The reason for this is that the U10 only has one single PCI bus (IIRC).

PCI is good for a maximum throughput of ~1Gbit/s  (33Mhz * 32 bit width).

For each full duplex network interface you have a maximum throughput of 200Mbit/s
(100in + 100out = 200 to the PCI bus).   With the builtin card plus a quad card you
have 5 network interfaces which will have a max. throughput of 200 + 4* 200 = 1000
Mbit/s (if you use them all in 100Mbit/s fullduplex) = PCI bus limit.

Because of this Sun recommends their bigger irons with two or more separate PCI
busses:
    * E250 with 2x 33Mhz PCI   (not sure - maybe like the E220R/E420R's, too)
    * E220R / E420R with 1x 33Mhz PCI  plus 1x 66Mhz PCI
    * E450 with 6x PCI

But if you intend to use only/mainly "low speed" (10Mbit/s) connections via the
network interfaces, I do not see a major problem using more than QFE in an Ultra-10.

But make the customer aware of this bus / speed limitation for updates - and be sure
to mark it highly visible within the documentation. Customers tend to change their
minds ("That's not what we wanted!") - and techs (like me) tend to forget what was
not written down...   ;-)

Bye
    Volker

--

Volker Tanger  <[email protected]>
Sr. Security Engineer  Tel. +49-69-92901-570