From: James Edwards [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2000 9:26 AM
To: 'Brian Tan Wee Beng'; [email protected]
Subject: RE: [FW1] Partition for Solaris

This is almost a religious debate.  Some people say you should partition all
the separate OS file systems (/ /opt /var /usr /export/home swap) into their
own partitions and some say just make it one big chunk with the only thing
separate being swap.  I used to be one of the former persuasion until I
tried the latter and I am convinced that is the way to go, especially on
something like a firewall where you don't have users logging in to the
operating system.  With the days of having to shoehorn a 1 GB operating
system into a 1 GB disk behind us, I take the normal 18 GB disk drive and
use 4 GB for the root partition (full install of Solaris 8 needs about 2.3
GB) , double my memory (or use a minimum of 2 GB) for the swap partition and
make the rest for logs.  You can do symbolic link to anywhere you like for
the log directory.  I would also set up a periodic log switch, move your old
logs somewhere else and compress them.

This works very well for me.

Jim Edwards
Systems Manager