RE: [FW1] DNS query problem through firewall

I had 40 as the default but when I did a snoop on the interface to find the
query
and reply time I saw that it was taking around 60-90 secs (they are fixing
the dns prob).

I have increased the allow udp replies  to 70 secs but do not want to
increse it much as
this will effect the connections table limit. This seem to have given some
relief.

I had another problem after the increase. At around 10,000 connections in
the connections
table, almost all the return packets got dropped and all established
sessions through the
firewall got disconnected. I have around 75 rules which I am trying to bring
down.

Firewall kernal memory was increased to 8Mb.
Connections was increased to 50000
TCP timeout was increased to 18hrs phew (some weird app requires it).

Could these change in parameters be having adverse effect on the overall
performance
of the firewall. Could this be the reason why the packets started getting
dropped at
around 10000 connections ?

Preet