[FW1] Putkey woes

Hi all,
It seems that I have hit a brick wall trying to get a 4.1 management console talking to a 4.1 firewall that resides on a different box.  I have tried following the instructions on phoneboy's page (http://www.phoneboy.com/fw1/faq/0038.html)  and I have tried what checkpoint suggested in their Knowledgebase.  Every time I try to get these darn things talking I get this error:
--------------------------------snip----------------------------------------------------------
FireWall-1: Starting fwd

FireWall-1: Fetching Security Policy from 192.168.100.1 localhost
Trying to fetch Security Policy from 192.168.100.1:

Installing Security Policy Standard on all.all@fw0
Using external interface 'qfe0'
Failed to Load Security Policy: No Valid FM License
Fetching Security Policy from 192.168.100.1 failed
Trying to fetch Security Policy from localhost:
Failed to Load Security Policy: No State Saved
Fetching Security Policy from localhost failed
Cannot fetch Security Policy from 192.168.100.1 localhost

now everytime I get this error I put the license in (again) using the -o switch. At this point the license is added correctly (at least as far as I could tell) then I get the same error

any ideas??

matt