Re: [FW1] ports on Firewall-1

Title: open ports
Hi Chi-Lien,

Well, the ports FireWall-1 uses for communication are these (I made a table of them....):

Name of service

Description

TCP or UDP

Port number

FW1

Check Point VPN-1 & FireWall-1 Service

TCP

256

FW1_log

Check Point VPN-1 & FireWall-1 Logs

TCP

257

FW1_mgmt

Check Point Management

TCP

258

FW1_clntauth_telnet

Check Point VPN-1 & FireWall-1 Client Authentication (Telnet)

TCP

259

FW1_snmp

Check Point VPN-1 & FireWall-1 SNMP Agent

UDP

260

FW1_snauth

Check Point VPN-1 & FireWall-1 Session Authentication

TCP

261

FW1_top

Check Point VPN-1 SecuRemote Topology Requests

TCP

264

FW1_key

Check Point VPN-1 Public Key Transfer Protocol

TCP

265

FW1_clntauth_http

Check Point VPN-1 & FireWall-1 Client Authentication (HTTP)

TCP

900

FW1_cvp

Check Point OPSEC Content Vectoring Protocol

TCP

18181

FW1_ufp

Check Point OPSEC URL Filtering Protocol

TCP

18182

FW1_sam

Check Point OPSEC Suspicious Activity Monitor API

TCP

18183

FW1_lea

Check Point OPSEC Log Export API

TCP

18184

FW1_ela

Check Point OPSEC Event Logging API

TCP

18187

FW1_ipslogon

Policy Server Logon protocol

TCP

18207

FW1_CPRD

Check Point Remote Installation Protocol

TCP

18208

FW1_netso

NetSO Authority protocol

TCP

19190

Some of these are included in implicit pseudo-rules you can view choosing View from the menu, and then click on Implied pseudo-rules. Pay attention to the fact that you're maybe not using all of them....
I suggest you to harden you operating system in order to close unnecesary ports. For hardening SO I suggest the following whitepapers:

Armoring Solaris        http://www.enteract.com/~lspitz/armoring.html
Armoring NT            http://www.enteract.com/~lspitz/nt.html

About training in CheckPoint Fw-1.... Well I can say that when I began with the product documentation it was a headache for me to understand the product architecture. Too many terms: inspect engine, fw module, inspection module, enterprise security console, fw management console. Some of them refer to the same but I don't know why the CKP Software Technologies documentation team like to have many, many names to designate exatly the same thing.
It was a great challenge for me. But you can acquire the concepts and terms if you have a little patience. You will maybe have to read the docs many times.
I can't tell you if CCSA or CCSE student material were better than product documentation because I had access to them when I was more experienced with Fw-1. But I think they're easier to read.
If you or your company can afford for a CCSA or CCSE course, welcome....
I hope this can help you.
Best regards,

Fabiola Mayorca

Fabiola Daniela Mayorca Arellano
CCSE  & CCSA CheckPoint Certified Security Engineer / Administrator
Telefónica Sistemas, sucursal Perú.  Los Sauces 374 Piso 10/11
Edificio La Torre Roja.  San Isidro - Lima 27
Latin America