[FW1] Squid/FW1 authentication

Hello,

Just installed squid proxy cache and I'm trying to get it working with our Checkpoint Firewall.  The plan is for users to hit the internal interface of the proxy server and then the external interface of the proxy will connect to the firewall and request the page.

We want the firewall to do the authentication because this is where the user database resides.

Everything works except, when browsing, the user is prompted for a password for each object instead of just one time at the beginning of the session.  This is obviously no good.

I can set the cients to use the internal IP of the Firewall as their proxy, and then set the firewall to re-direct to squid..  But this seems inefficient and the clients browser will sometimes create a lot of redirect notifications.  Performance also seems slower this way.

Is there a way to have clients authenticate one time to the firewall and then have the proxy maintain the connection thereafter?

If not, is there some way to convert a firewall user database to squid format?

Thanks for the help!

Matthew Miller
Sr. WAN Engineer