-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of Mark
L. Decker
Sent: Monday, November 06, 2000 1:53 PM
To: 'iden fw'; [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]; [email protected]
Subject: RE: [FW1] Multiple WAN Links.

> You would be surprised how many customers order 2 circuits
> to their ISP, and then don't know that the T1s
> terminate in the same channelized DS-3 card in the same
> Cascade 9000/500 switch, that can ride the same fiber over
> to the ISPs router. Or maybe you wouldn't be surprised... ;)
> Telco could be the problem... if both circuits are ordered
> from the same carrier, and ride common facilities... again,
> alot of times customers do not ask for circuit path diversity.

;-)  Very good point.  Having worked for a carrier/ISP, I can say that this
would be the rule, rather than the exception.  Even if you ask for
diversity, how do you know you're actually getting it?  I think the only way
to guarantee real diversity is to provision the circuits through different
carriers to different ISPs.  Ideally, one T1 through the LEC, and a 2nd
through a CLEC. (e.g.: T3 through Brooks Fiber to UUnet, and a T3 through
Pacific Bell to Sprint) (another e.g.: DSL through Pacific Bell Internet and
cable modem through ATT@home).  If you're not fortunate enough to have a
choice of local access vendors, at least going to two different ISPs is
better than requesting diversity from the same ISP.  Also, choosing
different access services from the same vendor helps, such as a leased T1
and a FR T1.

> > You'd need some kind of intelligent DNS to do that, maybe
> > custom scripting or a product like 3DNS.
>
> Yet another product to configure, troubleshoot, keep
> up-to-date on patches, purchase, support contracts... ugh.

It doesn't have to be that bad.  Even without a fancy tool like 3DNS, you
could just write a script for an existing DNS server to have it round-robin
among addresses to achieve basic load sharing for inbound connections.  That
said, RainWall as a multi-homing solution probably makes more sense for
folks who do primarily outbound browsing and mail, and host their website
externally at a colo.  For people hosting a big website internally,
especially an e-commerce site, BGP may be well worth the extra expense and
hassle.

> I think your estimate of $12,000 for an empty 3640 chassis
> might be a bit high.  Maybe not...

I wish it were.  List price for a Cisco 3640 chassis with IP-only IOS and
128M DRAM is US $12,260, and that's without any LAN/WAN cards, extra flash,
or anything.  Add 8MB flash, a 1E2W module and a T1 WIC, and you're up to
$15,460 for a typically configured unit, plus maintenance of $1,000 or more
per year.  They ain't exactly cheap. :-(

Mark L. Decker
Rainfinity

http://www.primeinc.com
whom they are addressed.  If you have received this email
in error please reply to the sender of the message.

The views expressed in this correspondence may not
reflect the views of Prime, Inc.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has
been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.