[FW1] SNMP Service needed?

A document I'm reading on how to secure your NT firewall server says that Firewall-1 needs SNMP.  My current firewall does NOT have this service installed or running.

I'm setting up a new firewall, and am curious as to why this document says this.  I'm also wondering if I should install SNMP - I would rather not, especially if my existing firewall works without it.

Rodney Lacroix