[FW1] RE: Specifically allowing access services vs. specifically denyin g them

Well, you could just put a somewhat generic policy in place which allows the

services you know you need, and deny everything else.
When people start complaining of broken services, alter the policy
accordingly.

or if your environment will not allow things to be done that way, you could
allow
all services you know you need, and then permit everything else but log this
traffic.
Then take time to analyze the logs, find out what looks like it could be
legit traffic.
Verify this is legit traffic, and alter the policy accordingly.

Either way, its going to take some time and analysis of the traffic to find
the unknowns.
You may need to consult within your different departments, and find out who
knows what about services on each of the servers.

I have gone through this process already, but my environment allowed me to
take option #1.
But then again, most of our services are pretty much standard for our
production network, and the unknowns on our internal network. So our
approach, had little to no impact on the production network.

~Doug