RE: [FW1] SSL vs. Securemote

I am not as concerned about the encryption technique as I am about the fact that a server that is made to be only accessible via Securemote can be made to be virtually invisible or non-existent to all but SR clients, whereas an SSL server is visible to the world, and I would be concerned about concentrated hack attempts at such machine.

From: Dan Hitchcock <[email protected]>
To: 'nobody nowhere' <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: [FW1] SSL vs. Securemote
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 12:28:09 -0700

Well, with 128-bit SSL tunneled in 168-bit 3DES SR, you could safely send
nuclear weapon designs without worrying about prosecution... :)

In other words, either one of these encryption algoritms alone is more than
sufficient from a security perspective unless you are extremely paranoid.
128-bit SSL has been cracked, but it took several weeks with a huge
computer.  It isn't likely that anyone will intercept your data stream and
go to all that work unless your data is extremely valuable.

Dan Hitchcock
CCNA, MCSE
Network Engineer
Xylo, Inc. (formerly employeesavings.com)The work/life solution for corporate thought leaders

-----Original Message----- From: nobody nowhere [mailto:[email protected]] Sent: Friday, October 27, 2000 12:03 PM To: [email protected] Subject: [FW1] SSL vs. Securemote

I have an SSL web application that I use Securemote to access. I am
pondering the need for Securemote at all in this scenario.
Would there be any security benefit by using Securemote to access a SSL web
application as opposed to just relying on the security built into SSL?

http://profiles.msn.com.