From: Phil Gaskell
To: [email protected]
Sent: 10/25/00 12:30 AM
Subject: [FW1] Secure remote WINS/DNS DHCP issue (NT4)

Hi Gurus,

I have come across a problem that is a real show stopper.......
If a user has been logged onto a network at work, (site a), with DHCP
then logs
onto the Internet at home for example.
Then if that user wants to access a DIFFERENT site, (site b), via secure
remote
then they have problems.

The issue is that the DHCP DNS, WINS and domain settings for site a is
held in
the registry and NOT released by an ipconfig /release.
This means that the DNS and WINS servers used are the DHCP defined
servers
rather than the DNS servers
defined within dnsinfo.C or in the dialer software.
The symptoms are that drives can only be mapped by IP address and
nslookup takes
a timeout.

Is there any clean way I can get around this, I know I can probably just
hack
the registry, but this is not
what I want users to be doing!

Thanks for any help.