[FW1] Re:

You can tell if the source address is genuine by looking at how much of
the tcp handshake they do. A typical probe (nmap -sS) runs like so:

client -> server: SYN
server -> client: RST
client -> server: FIN

If you get the third packet then you know where they are. They couldn't
fake it without guessing your tcp sequence number, and that should be
impossible with any kind of secure OS.

Amanda.