[FW1] RE: [fw1-wizards] OT - How secure is ISDN?

An ISDN connection is point to point and once it leaves the local loop it
will be in the SS7 network so it would not be easy to snoop it. The place
where you could get to it would be on the local loop, maybe in a box by the
road. You would need to find the wires and use some special equipment. If
there is sensitive data I would encrypt the traffic though. As for 'do you
need a firewall' This would not make the ISDN line any less comprimisable,
it would simply allow an unauthorized machine getting passed your network
perimeter. The question is, do you start encrypting all the traffic on your
WAN links because someone could listen on the line? Not usually I think, not
unless you are very paranoid!
The biggest issue with ISDN I think is if you have ISDN dial-in access to
your network either for user access or router Dial on Demand routing, these
links should always use good authentication techniques so as a dial-in
number cannot be used to circumvent your perimeter security (firewall etc).
It is all very well if you have good firewall protection but if someone can
get straight into a router and poison your routing information then he can
get data that way.

Hope this answers your question

Russell Goodwin