RE: [FW1] stopping AOL instant messenger

Find out all the IPs AOL IM is using and block those.

-----Original Message-----
From: Leggett, Jeff [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2000 1:31 PM
To: 'souhela 8'; [email protected]
Subject: RE: [FW1] stopping AOL instant messenger

Honestly, I don't believe you can.  IM will search for different ports if
the main one it uses (5190) is blocked.  I have seen it use SMTP, as well as
others if you block it's primary port.  Admitttedly, blocking the primary
port will make the user go in and have to make it search, so if they don't
do that - then you have blocked them.  But that will not totally elimante IM
from your LAN.  The only sure way is if you have your desktops closed down
so that users are unable to install software.