RE: [FW1] FW-1 plus load-balancing

Will,

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, Will Schwartz wrote:
|The CheckPoint Load balancing is handled in software and in some cases you
|load an agent on the web servers that you are balancing. There is no need to
|setup OSPF or anything silly like that. You basically assign a "virtual"
|address for the "group" of servers that you want to balance and then assign
|the servers into a group. Your DNS entry points to that virtual address and
|the firewall will pick the destination IP address and will (kind-of) NAT
|that connection to the destination.

as you say this seems to work for a couple of WWW servers but not for the
default gateway with about 5000 intranet clients. Beside that there are
propably some minor problems like getting a GigE hub. I cannot think of
any solution simply build in software which gives enough performance.

|I'd look into the slue of hardware based load balancing solutions out there.
|Cisco ( http://www.cisco.com ) , Alteon (
|http://www.alteonwebsystems.com/ ), Rainfinity, Stonesoft, Foundry,
|ArrorPoint. There are about 100 of them it seems.

OK, thanks for the hints.

====== PGP fingerprint B1 EE D2 39 2C 82 26 DA  A5 4D E0 50 35 75 9E ED ======

	Thought you got rid of all year 2k bugs and problems?
	Here's a new one: Windows 2000