[FW1] Re: automating the switching of logs

I need  to get my firewall to switch its log once a day so that the information in the flat log file can be sucked up into a table where it can be queried and/or reported on.

There was a very nice man at checkPoint technical support who was helping me with this via a cronjob until I called his direct number back, got transferred to "the first available engineer" and was told that checkPoint doesn't support cronjobs or assist with their creation or debugging.  I was told to see my Command Reference or goto securePoint.com.  I didn't get a command reference, but I am working on that with my VAR.

Here are the operational lines of my crontab:

SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/etc:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
HOME=/var/log
59 23 * * * /opt/pkg/Firewall-1-des.v4.1/bin/fw logswitch
# I hope this is what switches the log every night at a minute before midnight

It is not working and I don't know why.  My training in Firewall-1 was more with the rules and policy editor stuff not the IPSO stuff.

Also, once the firewall is creating a new log everyday, I will need to know how to get the file off the firewall to let's say a file server for example.

I thank anyandeveryone who can help me with this/these problem(s).  I am sure they will seem very elementary to anyone with any experience with this kind of stuff at all.

Feel free to email me directly or even call.  I need help soon.