[FW1] Assistance Needed: Three Problems with Nokia/Checkpoint

Hi all,

We have just installed a Nokia/Checkpoint firewall internally for testing prior to real deployment, but we're having three fairly major problems:

1) A *HUGE* number of "unknown established TCP packet" errors logged (packets dropped with reason Rule 0). The TCP connections this happens to include HTTP connections ("internal" net to "DMZ" net and DMZ to "external"), as well as telnet and SSH connections. There is ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY no possiblity that these are bad (bad as in "evil cracker-originated") packets attacking this system.

2) Connections hanging and dropping. Again, this happens to telnet, SSH, and HTTP connections; they just stop responding, hanging for a few seconds, and the either resume, or simply hang forever. I've started to call this the "narcoleptic router problem"....

3) Alerts of "too many hosts on internal net": we have a license for 25 hosts, and the external.if file correctly points to the "external" interface, and FW-1 correctly reports the external interface as it starts at boot time. I have removed fwd.h and fwd.hosts from the database directory, but this didn't help; it dropped the number of hosts back down to zero, but the "external" hosts reported once again began its relentless march upwards. When I get the "external" host addresses from /var/log/messages, I see that the IP's reported are all reached over the external.if interface: thus, I can't see why FW-1 thinks that these hosts are internal to begin with. Curiously, the IP lists in the "too many hosts" log messages always end with exactly ONE internal IP, and always a different internal IP.....

Any help would be *GREATLY* appreciated; this install is getting really behind schedule.....

Our FW-1 version is version 4.1 strong, SP2, IPSO 3.2, running on a Nokia IP330. A curious thing I just noticed: at boot, we always get TWO messages in the log of "Only 25 hosts allowed" at the startup of FW-1; these messages are always back-to-back, and happen right at boot.

Thanks in advance!
-frank