From: Rodney Lacroix [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2000 3:22 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [FW1] SYN Defender and WAN routing

I started receiving a TON of SYN Defender messages today, mostly originating
from my remote WAN sites to other web sites (all remote WAN sites route
through us for Internet access).

I made the following change:  My firewall's subnet on the internal interface
was incorrect (255.0.0.0 vs. 255.255.0.0 on a 10.1.x.x network).  When I
changed the subnet to the correct mask, I began to receive SYN Defender
messages from my WAN sites (routed networks also on a 255.255.0.0. subnet,
but with a different network ID).  Apparently, the firewall did not know how
to respond to the remote workstations, and timed out the connections.

I assumed it was then because my internal NIC on the firewall did not have a
default gateway specified (I could not ping the routers on my remote sites
from the firewall).  When I added the default gateway (my local router), ALL
Internet traffic halted - I again assume this is because my route has the
firewall as it's hop to the Internet, and my firewall had it's next hop as
the router (never ending loop).

It appears that my firewall does not know the routes to my other sites with
the correct network ID and subnet mask.  How do I do this?  Do I need to
manually add static routes to the other networks?

Rodney Lacroix