RE: [FW1] Stealth rule and LDAP question

Stealth rule hides the firewall from all systems and subnets not explicitly
allowed to talk directly to it.

Any	FW	Drop	Log

Rules to allow FW administration and routing protocols, and anything that by
it's nature requires to talk directly to the firewall itself, should be
placed above this rule.

A "cleanup" rule is a catch-all. There's an "implicit" drop rule at the
bottom of every rulebase, but it's not actually shown - effectively it is an
"any	any	drop	nolog" rule that drops all traffic not explicitly
allowed by the rulebase. The problem is it doesn't Log. I dunno what
Checkpoint were thinking there...

Anyway, the "cleanup" rule is what every responsible clued-up firewall admin
adds to the bottom of every rulebase. (well, ok depending on whether or not
you are actually interested in anything not matching your rulebase).

Any	any	Drop	LOG

Essentially all it is, is an explicit drop rule, which logs all traffic
dropped by the firewall because no other rule in the ruleset matched it.

HTH,

Scott McMeekin (x25086)
Senior Technical Analyst
ITS Telecommunications
Royal Bank of Scotland
Tel: (Int:Email: [email protected]
"Security is a Journey, not a Destination"

The Royal Bank of Scotland plc is registered in Scotland No 90312. Registered Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh EH2 2YB.

The Royal Bank of Scotland plc is regulated by IMRO, SFA and Personal Investment Authority.

This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addressee only.  If the message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the message from your computer.

'Internet e-mails are not necessarily secure. The Royal Bank of Scotland plc does not accept responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent.'