From: Will Schwartz [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2000 11:24 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: [FW1] ARP "storms" in Win98

Some 3rd party products do this. One that I've seen is HP JetDirect Jetadmin
software. If the "older" version is installed on a workstation, it will
constantly ARP the entire subnet looking for printers. If you put a sniffer
on the network and see what's its doing, when it matches the MAC address
range for an HP device it will then send an SNMP packet to it to ID it. Then
it continues. I've seen some workstations / servers do this over and over
and over...

GL
Will