[FW1] 4.0, Split DNS, and fully qualified domain names

I need my SecuRemote users to be able to access our internal servers using the alias names of the servers in the DNS tables (not the fully qualified server.domain.com).

I was able to do this with 4.1, SP2 but, for reasons of instability during the upgrade, had to revert to 4.0.  Since doing so, I can only access the internal servers via their fully qualified names (I can ping "server.domain.com", but not "server").

Since certain applications use the alias only (like our web site), this creates major issues.

Any ideas on how to get this to work?