Re: [FW1] VRRP Multicast over a VLAN

On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 07:54:41PM +0100, Al Medainy, Haitham wrote:
:
: I am trying to setup VRRP over a BayStack 350 Switch. I am not able to see
: the multicast when I conenct a sniffer to the same VLAN. Over the switch I
: can see the multicasts comnig from all the interfaces.
: I disabled the Spanning Tree over the switch.
: I have 2 IP440 with Monitor VRRP configuration.
: Everything works fine over a normal HUB.

I've seen nearly the same problem.  At a customer site, we had two 350T's,
interconnected with gigabit fiber, and VLANs that spanned the switches
(ie. ports 1-4 on each switch were on the same VLAN, etc..).

The 440s would be fine, until we'd pull the connections out of the primary,
creating a failover state.  Failover worked as advertised too.

However, when the primary came back to life, the switches would freak out,
shutting down the ports to both firewalls.  Why?  For an instant, the switch
saw the same MAC address on two ports, and its solution was to shut them
both down.

We had me, the Bay SE (Hi Nick), the 2 Nokia SE's (Hi Mark & Rich), and
even the Nokia territory manager (Hi Norm) and the Bay guy insisted that
the problem was in the firewalls.  We showed him (repeatedly) that it
was indeed the 350T's that were at fault.  The final resolution?  The
customer wound up returning the Baystack 350T's, and replaced them with
some Cisco 2924's.  No trouble at all with that configuration.  Dumb
hubs, Cisco, 3Com, HP, even Lucent switches have no trouble with
VRRP.  The Bays were *pitifully* bad at handling it...

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.