Re: [FW1] NAT across a VPN - brain teaser challenge - read carefully

Dan,

Actually there is a way to get the local machine to send the traffic to the local
router.   There is a feature called the "arp hack" which can
be turned on on most routers whereby they will respond to the arp requests of
addresses which they have not seen active on the local lan.
It is called "proxy arp" on a cisco.  It was originally developed to make lan
systems work better with workstations which did not
understand subnet masks.

So as long as the 10.10.10.x address used on the remote LAN are not exactly the same
ones used locally, you can turn on proxy arp
and make the routing work.   Once the traffic gets to the router you can NAT
(perhaps even use host routes without NAT) and send
it to the other side.   Proxy arp will not work however if you have the exact same
address being used on both sides.

Bob Brandt, 3M, [email protected]