RE: [FW1] Testing Firewall-1

-- Original Message --

>I would like to know how I can test my Firewall-1 for security holes.
>Is there any utility or shareware in the market to test it.

Hi Rales!

Well... First of all I hope you hardened your Operating System
Installation (See Lance's papers if you don't.
http://www.enteract.com/~lspitz/ ). If you harden your installations,
is less possible to have open holes to the world.

You may find useful http://www.enteract.com/~lspitz/audit.html too... ;-)

Then, you may try Commercial Vulnerability Scanners to detect
holes in your "final installation". ISS' Internet Scanner and
NAI's CyberCop Scanner are two choices. In the free software
market we have excellent tools like Nessus, NMap, SARA and Firewalk
to try to see exposures...  Just do a search for them... ;-)

Now, if you don't have idea how tools are used, or what to expect
for a "normal" or "bad" behaviour... hire a consultant! Some offer
penetration testing services and this may be another good approach
to see how "hard" is your installation... ;-)

Hope this helps. BR.

--
Martin Humberto Hoz Salvador
Information Security Consultant (ISS ICU, Check Point CCSE)

"Customer service is not a department... it's an attitude"