[FW1] MS Outlook over VPN

I know one of you genius's ran into this before or can help me out here. We
have couple of VPN clients use Microsoft outlook to get their e-mails, the
issue is that the new message are not delivered until you have some
activities in Outlook, like you click on outbox or any where. Any idea why
the messages are not appearing in the inbox on time. Please help..Client OS
is Win98 and NT 4.0, Outlook version 98, and 2000. FW 4.1

Thanks
Jose Titus