From: Reynolds, Tom [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2000 11:30 AM
To: 'Tim Gollschewsky'; Firwall-1 List
Subject: RE: [FW1] How do I stop being smurfed?

I am truly concerned that your ISP is not helping you with this situation.
I don't understand how a router, on YOUR network,  configured with filtering
to stop an attack, can affect other customers.  (The router and dsu are on
YOUR site, right?  The only traffic coming to and from THAT router is yours,
right?) In my last shop, WE managed the small router (Cisco 2500) connected
to our ISP.  The filtering you want is not a major problem.  I think you
should pursue this to the highest level at the ISP.  I think the "Internet
Industry" in general would be OUTRAGED, that you have identified an attack,
and your ISP offers NO assistance, when the fix is obvious.  Just my two
cents...

-Tom Reynolds MCSE CCNA