From: Jon R. Allen [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Monday, October 02, 2000 12:15
To: [email protected]
Subject: [FW1] Conducent Spyware Beating on Telnet Server

Curious if anyone else is seeing this.  While reviewing my logfiles I notice
hundreds of strange entries denied by rule 0.  The sessions originate from
internal users and are trying to telnet to servers out on the Internet and
are being denied by rule 0 since we only let certain users use outbound
telnet sessions.  The curious thing is that the telnet session contains http
directives - in other words, HTTP traffic is being tunneled in an outbound
telnet session (that is rejected since we don't allow outbound telnet by
default).

Further investigation shows these destination servers have Exodus addresses
and belong to an ad-targeting company called 'Conducent'
(www.conducent.com).  What appears to happen is an internal user installs
some product that contains the Conducent spyware and it then tries to tunnel
HTTP traffic out to servers on the internet.  A sniffer traces shows this
clearly.  My big concern is every session hits the HTTP security server and
bangs against it - driving up the CPU usage on the firewall. This is very
rude behaviour.  Also since these do not succeed, I am not really sure what
is being sent out (that is scary - it could be sending out all your company
secrets!).  Anyway, attached are a couple of examples from my firewall log
file that were denied.  As you can see the sofware doesn't realize it
reached the authentication server (asking
for username) and just dumps it's one line HTTP payload - which the firewall
logs as an invalid user:

  service  source      dest               User
  telnet   <int_addr>  216.35.217.175     POST
http://contents.conducent.com:23/BeginSession?P...
  telnet   <int_addr>  216.35.217.175     Content-Type:
application/x-www-form-urlencoded
  telnet   <int_addr>  216.35.217.175     Content-Length: 242
  telnet   <int_addr>  216.35.217.175     Cache-Control: no-cache
  telnet   <int_addr>  216.35.217.175     transaction=
  telnet   <int_addr>  216.35.217.175     AGAAFEAAAwMUQ4MjNEOUJCMD...
  telnet   <int_addr>  216.35.217.175     MjQwMDAwMDAwMDA...

I have seen about 10 different destination addresses - most of which come up
eventually when resolving 'contents.conducent.com'

-Jon