From: Jon R. Allen [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Monday, October 02, 2000 12:15 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [FW1] Conducent Spyware Beating on Telnet Server

Curious if anyone else is seeing this.  While reviewing my logfiles I notice
hundreds
of strange entries denied by rule 0.  The sessions originate from internal
users and
are trying to telnet to servers out on the Internet and are being denied by
rule 0
since we only let certain users use outbound telnet sessions.  The curious
thing is
that the telnet session contains http directives - in other words, HTTP
traffic is
being tunneled in an outbound telnet session (that is rejected since we
don't allow
outbound telnet by default).

Further investigation shows these destination servers have Exodus addresses
and belong
to an ad-targeting company called 'Conducent' (www.conducent.com).  What
appears to
happen is an internal user installs some product that contains the Conducent
spyware
and it then tries to tunnel HTTP traffic out to servers on the internet.  A
sniffer
traces shows this clearly.  My big concern is every session hits the HTTP
security
server and bangs against it - driving up the CPU usage on the firewall.
This is very
rude behaviour.  Also since these do not succeed, I am not really sure what
is being
sent out (that is scary - it could be sending out all your company
secrets!).  Anyway,
attached are a couple of examples from my firewall log file that were
denied.  As you can
see the sofware doesn't realize it reached the authentication server (asking
for username)
and just dumps it's one line HTTP payload - which the firewall logs as an
invalid user:

  service  source      dest               User
  telnet   <int_addr>  216.35.217.175     POST
http://contents.conducent.com:23/BeginSession?P...
  telnet   <int_addr>  216.35.217.175     Content-Type:
application/x-www-form-urlencoded
  telnet   <int_addr>  216.35.217.175     Content-Length: 242
  telnet   <int_addr>  216.35.217.175     Cache-Control: no-cache
  telnet   <int_addr>  216.35.217.175     transaction=
  telnet   <int_addr>  216.35.217.175     AGAAFEAAAwMUQ4MjNEOUJCMD...
  telnet   <int_addr>  216.35.217.175     MjQwMDAwMDAwMDA...

I have seen about 10 different destination addresses - most of which come up
eventually
when resolving 'contents.conducent.com'

-Jon