Re: [FW1] OT - Real Secure false positives?

Exactly.  Ping is not session oriented and may not be captured even by a
cleanup rule.  SYN attacks can be sent in a manner that also does not
actually attempt to open a connection so the firewall won't pick them up
either.  If you are interested in seeing how this is done, pick up a copy of
_Hacking Exposed_.

The purpose of an IDS system is exactly what you are seeing; catch what the
firewall doesn't.

You are now part of the "ones who know" what is really going on on the
Internet.

If anyone else is worried about this and would like to see a
strong/inexpensive product for IDS, email me and I'd be happy to talk to you
about becoming "one who knows" too(shameless sales).

RealSecure is a great product for a very large wallet.  Happy to sell you
that for increased margin, but I'd love to give you some alternatives.

And you thought I was just a trainer!