-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of Mark
Decker
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2000 12:00 PM
To: [email protected]
Cc: Thomas. Poole@gecits. ge. com
Subject: [FW1] Rainwall-E vs StoneBeat FullCluster

Tom & Scott,

OK, if you insist.  First, let's establish how these products are similar:

Both allow you to cluster together up to 16 firewall machines (nodes).
Both are intended to provide High-Availability and Load Balancing.
Both are available for FW-1 on Solaris, NT, or Linux.
Both are sold as "software only" solutions (although StoneBeat requires
additional HW).

Now, how they are different:

Architecturally, the two products are as different as night and day.
StoneBeat achieves clustering at Layer 2, by cheating the rules of Ethernet
to allow more than one machine to have the same MAC address.  Rainwall
achieves clustering at Layer 3, by creating a pool of Virtual IP addresses
(VIPs) that float dynamically among nodes in the cluster.  With Rainwall,
each machine still has its own unique, legal MAC address.  This difference
has profound performance implications.

To illustrate the performance difference, let's compare a 4-node Rainwall-E
Cluster with a 4-node StoneBeat FullCluster.  In this scenario, let's say
you're running FireWall-1 with a typical rulebase on a typical Sun Solaris
box using typical Fast Ethernet NICs.  The Rainwall cluster is going to give
you somewhere around 300-350Mbps of throughput, depending on CPU speed and
policies.  The StoneBeat cluster is going to give you less than 100Mpbs of
throughput.  Let's say you then add 4 more nodes to each cluster.  The
Rainwall cluster now delivers more than 600Mbps, while the StoneBeat cluster
is still grinding along at less than 100Mbps.  Why isn't the StoneBeat
cluster getting any faster?  That's a very good question.

The answer is that StoneBeat is crippled by their Layer 2 clustering
technology.  Because StoneBeat uses a single-MAC approach, their solution is
not compatible with LAN switches, and can't take advantage of the benefits
of switching.  And, when all machines share the same MAC address, all
machines must receive and process all packets.  That means high overhead.
The actual speed of a single-MAC cluster will never exceed the speed of a
single NIC.  You could have 16 nodes in a FullCluster, and still get less
than 100Mbps of throughput.  Actually, 100Mbps is not really achievable,
because you must subtract all that LAN overhead.  Rainwall, on the other
hand, scales elegantly and linearly.  Every time you add a Rainwall node,
you add capacity and throughput with minimal overhead.

Other differences:

-Rainwall-E does not require a dedicated 'heartbeat LAN'.  To avoid single
points of failure in a StoneBeat cluster, you must add two NICs to each
firewall and hook them up to two separate, dedicated hubs, just to support
cluster management traffic.
-Rainwall-E is OPSEC-certified for Load-Balancing including VPN-1; StoneBeat
FullCluster isn't.
-Rainwall-E list price is around $6,000 less than StoneBeat FullCluster in a
4-node configuration.  When you add cost of additional hardware for
heartbeat LANs, StoneBeat gets even more expensive.
-Rainwall-E is easy to install.  We add only 4 rules to the firewall and 2
commands to the router.  Rainwall requires no installation of NICs or
tweaking of MAC addresses, and licensing is not bound to IP addresses.
Anyone who has installed StoneBeat before will know why these are issues.

Apologies for the rant, but I just think we've got way cooler technology,
and can't help bragging about it.  Comments welcome.

Mark L. Decker
Rainfinity
[email protected] Message-----