RE: [FW1] Strange TCP Timeout problem

Looks to me like at the time of your outtage your firewall is responding to
icmp echo requests just fine. The only thing that does not appear to be
happening is the traversal of packets between the PC and the firewall via
the switch.

Is it possible that you are having some broadcast control being done by your
switch?
I had some problems with HP ProCurve switches where broadcasts were getting
throttled down to near 0% of traffic due to some switch firmware bug and it
was bizarre and hard to determine the true source of the problem. (I am
still upset about it...heh)

One thing to consider is that Microsoft's implementation of ARP caching is
much different than Unix. On a unix box, if you are sending packets to an
IP, it will keep the arp cache entry alive until that IP has been dormant
for quite some time. Microsoft on the otherhand expires the entries after a
set interval no matter what.

For this reason, we often set persistent ARP CACHE entries for our server
farm on our clients boxes when they login via a script.
(so long as mac addresses are for the most part static, this does not hurt)

You might try setting a persistent arp cache entry on your PC and then try a
ping -t
to see if the timeouts still occur. If not, then what was happening was the
arp cache
entry was expiring and then an ARP request broadcast was being sent but for
some reason
being dropped by the switch.

Punch a sniffer into the firewall and define a filter to watch traffic
between firewall and your PC only.
(or just span the ports over to a monitoring port etc..)