From: Jason Witty [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2000 9:45 AM
To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [FW1] IP pools

I can't really point you to any docs, other than the 4.1 VPN manuals,
but basically, there are several reasons for using that feature.  Most
of the reasons deal with routing.  For example, lets say your company
has multiple Internet connections, in multiple locations, with a shared
internal WAN between the locations.  If a VPN user came into the network
via location1's firewall, and you did NOT do an internal NAT pool, when
they tried to access resources in location 2's network, the return
packets would go out through location 2's firewall.  Since that firewall
wouldn't have known about the traffic, it would then be dropped, and
hence the VPN would not fully work.  Whew...Did that make any sense?  If
not, let me know and I'll clarify, but the basic idea is that you assign
your VPN users a 10-dot (or whatever) tunnel address so that your route
back can take a specific route and NOT a default route....  Hope this
helps.

Jason