[FW1] message at the policy install screen

Hi there,
I am new to firewall-1 and just have a firewall-1 v3.0b installed on a
solaris 2.6 system.  I have built a basic rule and couple network objects.
When I install the firewall policy, I see a warning message about missing
the "$FWDIR/conf/external.if".  What is it?

I create the external.if and type "hme0" in the file, which hme0 is the
name of the interface facing external network.  Now, the warning message is
gone, and instead I am seeing this message at the policy install screen...
----
Installing Security Policy Standard on all.all@labmachine
Using external interface 'hme0'
Installing Security Policy on localhost(firewall) succeed
Done.
----

Would anyone explain if it is normal for creating the "external.if" at the
conf directory?   What is the reasoning behind this?  When looking at our
production firewall, I don't see the "Using external interface 'hme0'" at
the install screen.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-raymond