Re: [FW1] eSafe CVP Servers

Hi Cristian,

Thank you for your reply.

I only use my eSafe for SMTP and FTP AV. If/when I use
the HTTP scrubbing -- it works for a few hours, then
it stops all HTTP traffic (looses connectivity with
the firewall). To much of a pain. It's really too bad
-- I wish it worked.

I have bugged eSafe for help -- but so far, no
resolution. eSafe gave me the run-around, and I
finally gave up. Other have complained about the same
problem. I'll probably go with Norton once my eSafe
license expires.

This is my config:

Dedicated full T1 Internet access
FW1 v4.1 SP2 on Solaris 2.6 143MHz Usparc 320MB RAM

eSafe v2.1/99 on NT4.0 Server (SP5) PI 233 256MB RAM
Websense v3.11 also on this NT4.0 server, which is
only a PC clone. HDDs are UW SCSI drives. IDE is evil!

The NT box and firewall are connected to a Cisco
switch. Firewall is forced at 10/HDX -- while the NT
has a SMC NIC running at 100/FDX (also forced to
100/FDX. Force everything -- don't auto neg, according
to Cisco). We've had problems with 3COM cards. We
don't use them anymore. We've had good experiences
with Intel NICs. Anyway...

My switch connection status between NT and firewall is
the cleanest on our network.

The only tips I have for eSafe are:

- Per: eSafe README, comment out the "auth_opsec"
18182 line in $FWDIR/conf/fwopsec.conf
Or, something like that. See the readme file. I
forget.

- Use "Low Security" in defeat timeout in eSafe
configuration

- streamline your FW1 rules. Make them simple, ordered
with most used at the top.

That's about all I can think of. Hope this helps!

-- Chris

--- Cristian Nicolae <[email protected]>