Re: [FW1] Reasons against opening I-net access..

James Edwards wrote:

> What I would suggest, is to open it up for select users.  Make the users
> justify to management (not to you) why they need this and what it is for.
> That will quickly  out the game downloaders from the real workers.

Thinking about it this way of handling things creates too much work for
everyone and just annoys everyone - as a worker I'd be pretty annoyed if
I had to justify to a cost-cutting management why I needed to use the
net.

A far better solution that I've seen put into practice is to make
detailed network statistics publically accessible. In the case I saw a
simple intranet webpage was set up which listed the top ten bandwidth
users over the last period of time, listing the name of the machine and
the bandwidth it was consuming. If the net felt slow, and you needed to
complain to somebody - start at the top of the webpage and work down.

This page worked a treat - suddenly if an employee wanted to suck the
newsserver dry of all the  it they thought twice after fellow
employees hunted them down and complained about them.

Neither the management nor the IT people had to get involved after that.

Regards,
Graham