[FW1] default policy?

I have a pair of IP440s in HA mode. I applied the hotfix recently (fw-1 4.0, SP5.IPSO3.2.1) on
the swecondary and did iot correctly (ie. I opted for newpkg>upgrade and turned it on in
voyager) but on the primary I went for install as new package (duh) and turned it on in voyager.
Obviously it didn;t work and loaded a default policy, gave a bunch of errors and said that only
25 hosts were licenced. I fixed it quickly but noticed that my squid cache in the dmz was
unavailable during this time. I thought that it would continue to work via the second router but
it didn't. I have tested the nokia HA solution by pulling the power and also by pulling a network
cable on the primary and this fails over correctly with no interruption to the web/cache, ftp etc.
I assume that the default policy loaded by the primary router blocks access but is there any
way of avoiding this (besides being more careful when applying patches!)?

rgds

declan