From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of
[email protected]
Sent: Monday, September 11, 2000 9:55 PM
To: Charles Melanson
Cc: [email protected]; [email protected]
Subject: [FW1] Re: [FW-1] Too Many Internal Hosts - FW is dead!

I've had too many hosts problem before on a remote fw.

Solution:-

Clear out cumulative host log and ensure you have a $FWDIR/conf/external.if
file with your Internet-side interface details in it.

Procedure can be found on:-

http://www.phoneboy.com/fw1/faq/0001.html

Tim Higgins

                    "Charles
                    Melanson"                To:
[email protected]
                    <chuckmelanson@ho        cc:     [email protected],
[email protected]
                    tmail.com>               Subject:     [FW-1] Too Many
Internal Hosts - FW is dead!

                    11/09/00 16:55

Hi All,

I have a customer in a remote city that has just had their firewall crash
due to the "Too Many Internal Hosts" problem. They had deployed dhcp this
morning, and their clients decided that they would start statically
assigning themselves some ips - they ran over their 25 user lic pretty
quick.

They had 56 IPs counted in their fwd.hosts file.

I cannot get their firewall recovered - they cannot get a license to
install, and my outlook with the fw-mailing archives is sitting translated
behind it - hence the hotmail ;-).

This is what I've done so far:
1. Fwstop / del fwd.h & fwd.hosts files / fwstart
2. fwstop / fwputlic -o -l x.x.x.x.lic / fwstart
3. fwstop / gui license install from file / fwstart
4. reboot - multiple times - both plugged into the network and not
5. reboot all switches on all interfaces
6. fw printlic -k
7. fw putlic -o -l x.x.x.x.lic / fw putlic -K -l x.x.x.x.lic
8. fw ctl uninstall / fw ctl install

I seriously am at my wits end. I am at another customer's building another
environment and cannot dedicate myself to the telephone to help
troubleshoot, and I have never had this much problems installing a license
before.

Any help would be very appriecated!

Chuck.

http://profiles.msn.com.

#**********************************************************************
This message is intended solely for the use of the individual
or organisation to whom it is addressed. It may contain
privileged or confidential information.  If you have received
this message in error, please notify the originator immediately.
If you are not the intended recipient, you should not use,
copy, alter, or disclose the contents of this message.  All
information or opinions expressed in this message and/or
any attachments are those of the author and are not
necessarily those of Hughes Network Systems Limited,
including its European subsidiaries and affiliates. Hughes
Network Systems Limited, including its European
subsidiaries and affiliates accepts no responsibility for loss
or damage arising from its use, including damage from virus.