[FW1] Bizarre ftp problems

I am having an urgent problem, and need any advice I can get.

The firewall is 4.1SP2 on Solaris 7.

Clients behind the firewall cannot successfully ftp out to anywhere,
pasv mode or not. All that is returned by any server I try is 421
Service not available (after they successfully login).

Even more strange (to me, but perhaps they are related) is that ftp's
into allowed servers behind the firewall give external clients the exact
behaviour. Machines in front of the firewall can successfully ftp out
(but not to NATd machines behind the firewall, then they get the 421
error as mentioned above).

As anyone seen this before? Is there a resolution?

Thanks,
Mike Hoffos
Technical Architect
Infocast Corporation

begin:vcard
n:Hoffos;Mike
tel;cell:tel;fax:tel;work:x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:Infocast/HomeBase;Architecture and Development
adr:;;Suite 1220, 855 2nd Street SW;Calgary;Alberta;T2P 4J7;Canada
version:2.1
email;internet:[email protected]
title:Senior Technical Architect
x-mozilla-cpt:;0